Posted October 2017
IRIS Educational Media (IRIS) is a growing company whose mission is to provide engaging, interactive educational resources that inspire confidence and make a positive difference in people’s lives. IRIS seeks a talented and highly motivated entry-level Design Researcher to join our expanding Research & Design team in Eugene, OR.
General Function of Design Researcher:
This position will support the research, design, and evaluation of digital learning products for behavior change for IRIS and our clients. The individual will be responsible for contributing to client and company-led proposals, supporting the day-to-day operations of projects, recruiting study participants, conducting qualitative research and analyzing the data, managing online survey research, and transforming formative research results into requirements for digital learning products. We’re looking for design researchers skilled in one or more of the following: interviewing users, conducting ethnographic research, facilitating usability studies, and designing and analyzing surveys. In addition to research expertise, experience in instructional design, media production, or software development for digital learning is desirable. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with a small, collaborative research and design team and with a skilled production team staffed by instructional designers, video producers, and software developers.
Candidates should hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s in anthropology, human geography, sociology, human-computer interaction, information science, or a related field. The position requires experience with qualitative data analysis software such as Atlas.ti or NVivo. Familiarity with Qualtrics or similar survey software is preferred.
Reports to: Director, Research & Design
Direct reports: None
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Gather insights about users through a variety of qualitative research methods including but not limited to individual and group interviews, in-context fieldwork, usability testing, and surveys.
- Analyze qualitative results and convey insights through the development of requirements documents for digital learning products.
- Develop and implement multi-pronged recruitment strategies for qualitative and quantitative research, work with the project team to identify potential participants, and craft enticing recruitment messages.
- Manage evaluation research including programming surveys, monitoring completions, identifying and addressing issues, cleaning data, and if applicable, performing preliminary analyses.
- Contribute to the research design and methods’ sections of client and company proposals.
- Contribute to reports, manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications, and other documentary deliverables.
- For grant-funded research, contribute to the development of materials for the IRB and manage the IRB review process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong communication skills and empathy for users.
- Experience with the principles of design research.
- Strong understanding of the strengths and issues with different research methods, including when and how to best utilize them.
- Ability to present research results to a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience converting research findings into product requirements.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to find and employ creative solutions.
- Ability to work across multiple projects.
- Self-motivated, proactive, organized, and detail-oriented.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in anthropology, human geography, sociology, human-computer interaction, information science, or related field.
- 2-3 years relevant work experience conducting qualitative or design research.
- 1 year of experience with digital learning content development and delivery strongly preferred.
This position is OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Please email your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Include in Subject Line: Design Researcher (Entry-level) Job Posting
More information about the company can be found at www.irised.com.