Front End Developer
About IRIS Educational Media:
IRIS Educational Media (irisEd) is a growing educational media company whose mission is to provide engaging, interactive educational resources that inspire confidence and make a positive difference in people’s lives.
We are looking for a highly motivated, organized Front End Developer to join our growing company.
General Function of Front End Developer:
The Front End Developer is responsible for programming and maintaining all aspects of the project’s front-end, user-facing components, such as website interactivity components, visualizations, data intake, browser compatibility, and other elements of website and applications that users engage with.
Reports to: Manager, Web Applications
Direct reports: none
FTE: 0.5 (half-time with opportunity for full-time)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop new user-facing features
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Pay attention to details of design from design team and ask questions if unsure of design
- Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability
- Assure that all user input is validated before submitting to back-end
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Develop functional and appealing web- and mobile-based applications based on design prototypes, usability best practices, etc.
- Provide website maintenance and enhancements
- Use a combination of programming languages to write web pages
- Write functional requirement documents and specifications
- Assist back-end developers with coding and troubleshooting
- Create cascading style sheets (CSS) that are consistent across all browsers and platforms
- Maintain graphic standards and branding throughout the product’s interface
- Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies
- Promote usability best practices
Skills and Qualifications:
- Knowledge of :
- HTML (writing clean, semantic markup)
- CSS (Modular, scalable)
- CSS methodologies (BEM, SMACSS, OOCSS)
- CSS preprocessors (LESS, SCSS, PostCSS)
- Modern CSS (Flexbox, Grid)
- Modern JS (ES6, Typescript)
- JS frameworks (Angular, React, Vue, Sails.io)
- JS methodologies (Functional programming, OOP)
- JS libraries (Immutable, Ramda, Lodash)
- Responsive Design principals
- Testing (TDD)
- Testing frameworks (Jasmine, Karma)
- Animation techniques
- Build tools (Grunt, Gulp, NPM Scripts)
- Asset Bundlers (WebPack, Browserify)
- NPM ecosystem
- Knowledge of different browser quirks
- Agile methodologies
- Version Control (with Github)
- Visual Design fundamentals
- Soft skills, time management
- A basic understanding of whatever back-end language is being used
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of tools (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint,)
- Proficient in company connectivity tools for remote work (GoToMeeting) and communication and productivity tools (Asana, TeamGantt, Slack)
- General math skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Represent the company professionally
Company-wide Job Standards:
- In acknowledging the importance of team effort in the production and distribution of high-quality, research-based media and trainings, all IRIS employees are expected to work in a friendly, collaborative, and respectful manner with all other employees, clients, and customers.
- Must be on time, and keep a clean and tidy office while also supporting cleanliness in the common office areas.
- Must adhere to employee policy guidelines.
- All work will be performed in accordance with all government laws, regulations, ordinances, and court rulings in those jurisdictions in which the company operates.
- All work will be documented according to operational standards.
- Client and company information will be held as strictly confidential.
- All telephone calls, both internal and external, will be returned within one business day and within two hours whenever possible.
- Director/Manager will be notified of any issues to be resolved or deadlines that cannot be met by reporting position, prior to the due date, in written communication.
- Will provide staff assistance as requested; each employee may be asked from time to time to cover other areas of accountability and/or departments.
- All business communications, whether verbal, visual, or written, whether for internal or external use, will be professional in tone and content and according to any applicable and existing company policies and standards.
- Will respect each other’s time, space, and need for concentration
- Employees are encouraged to recommend ideas for the improvement of their department and position.
- Will use IRIS project management tools and file management procedures, without exception, as outlined in the IT policy
- Will report time on projects accurately to support IRIS project financial management processes.
This position is OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Please email your resume and cover letter to:firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are selected for the candidate pool you will be asked to complete a skills assessment.
Include in Subject Line: Front End Developer Job Posting
More information about the company can be found at www.irised.com.