Courageous Conversations About Race: Facilitator's Guide
A Field Guide for Achieving Equity in Schools
Designed to complement the best-selling Courageous Conversations About Race, this facilitator's guide shows how to use professional development events to help educational leaders examine the achievement gap through the prism of race.
This chapter-by-chapter guide explains how to engage educators in discussions about personal agendas, multiple racial perspectives, closing the racial achievement gap, and extending their professional learning. Trainers also will find practical features, including
- Implementation exercises
- Prompts, language, and tools that support profound discussion
- Activities and checklists for administrators
- Action steps for creating an equity team
Highlights for the facilitator include
- Activities for small or large groups
- Discussion and journaling prompts
- Key sources for supplemental reading
- Sample workshop agendas for half-day, one-day, or two- to three-day sessions
- A workshop evaluation form
Using the Facilitator's Guide to Courageous Conversations About Race, you can help educators construct a language and a process for addressing the relationship between race and achievement. With creative, open dialogue, leaders can restructure their schools and fulfill every student's potential regardless of race, culture, or class.