Transforming School Discipline
Students who behave badly are not responding to the usual forms of discipline. Rewards and consequences - even suspension and expulsion - do not lead to durable change for the better. This instructional video is designed with busy educational professionals in mind and is intended to provide inspiration as well as demonstration of how the Collaborative & Proactive Solutions model works to achieve the following objectives:
- Reduce or eliminate recurring problem behaviors
- Improve relationships between adults and students
- Improve student attitudes toward adults
- Help adults interact with students in ways that build and develop students’ executive skills, language skills, emotion regulation skills, cognitive flexibility
Busy teachers, principals and school counselors can schedule a series of brief half hour training sessions. In each session they watch and discuss a video segment on one of the following topic:
- Overview of the model (15 min)
- Setting Expectations (5 min)
- Assessment of Lagging Skills & Unresolved Problems (5 min)
- The Three Plans: A, B & C ( 8 min)
- Plan B: Empathy, Define Adult Concerns & Invitation ( 7 min)
- Implementation in Schools (8 min)
Each video segment is designed to stimulate discussion and deepen understanding of how educators can use the Collaborative and Proactive Solutions model to solve problems and resolve behavioral concerns.
ABOUT DR. ROSS GREENE
Ross Greene, Ph.D. is the Founder and Director of Lives in the Balance and author of The Explosive Child and Lost at School. In countless families, classrooms, schools, inpatient psychiatry units, residential facilities and juvenile correction facilities, Dr. Greene's Collaborative & Proactive Solutions model has been shown to be an effective way to reduce challenging behavior and teach kids the skills they need to function adaptively in the real world.